Vijay’s Mutton Korma Special. The taste was heavenly. To believe it, you need to try it.
Vijay’s Mutton Korma Special
Mutton (Goat) : 2 ~ 2.5 lb (medium pieces)
Onions: 2 Large (thin diced)
Green Chilli: 4 medium (thin diced)
Tomato: 1 medium (medium diced)
Curd: 1 cup
Green Chilli: 4 medium (thin sliced)
Oil: 7 tbsp
Ginger Garlic Paste: 1.5 tbsp
Cinnamon: 1 ~2 peels
Elaichi : 2 cloves
Star anise: 1
Bay leaf: 1
Mace: 3~5 petals
Coriander Powder: 2 tbsp
Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
Black Pepper: ½ tsp (fresh ground)
Salt: 2~2.5 tbsp
1. In a 4~5 quart pressure cooker. Pour 6 tbsp of oil and heat it up.
2. Put the cinnamon, star anise, mace, bay leaf, elaichi, let them sputter for 30 seconds
3. Add the diced green chillies, while they are sputtering add the diced onions.
4. Sautee the mix till the onions are fried to a golden brown (this takes about 10 ~ 12 minutes)
5. Add the washed mutton (goat) pieces mix well, (the mutton will begin to ooze out water) till the mutton pieces turn brown.
6. Add salt per taste (usual measure is 1 tbsp per lb of meat) adjust per your taste. The mutton will ooze more water after this.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and mix well, make sure the water oozed from the mutton is evaporated and the mix becomes very thick and begin to stick to the bottom of the cooker.
8. Add diced tomatoes and Red chilli powder, mix well, and cook for 2 minutes
9. Add Coriander powder, Cumin Powder, Black Pepper powder, Turmeric powder, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Add 1 cup of curd and cook for 5 minutes.
11. Add 1 ~ 1.5 cups of water and mix well.
12. Cover the pressure cooker lid and put the whistle on, leave this on medium flame till you get 3 ~ 4 whistles (adjust the cooking /# of whistles depending on the tenderness of the meat).
13. Shut off the heat and let the pressure completely release from the cooker before you open the lid (the sure way to check if the pressure is gone is to slightly try pulling on the whistle, if it’s not tight then the pressure is gone, you can take of the whistle and then open the lid)
14. Check for the consistency of the gravy, you can thicken it if you wish by bringing it to a boil without covering.
15. Finally add the chopped cilantro and transfer to a serving bowl.